Do you find yourself struggling to figure out how to stay on track in your online business?
Last week my husband came home and announced that he was starting on the evening shift at his job beginning the next day. He seemed really excited about the new duties and hours. My first response was to freak out quietly inside my head while smiling and nodding as I pretended to listen. All the while, thinking “Oh crap! Having him under foot all day is really gonna screw with my schedule and mess me up!”
Needless to say, I liked my days in my quiet house, undisturbed (for the most part, unless I have my cutie patootie grandson under foot) to be able to concentrate and get my work done, uninterrupted. I had a nice routine going.
Life as I knew it has done a total 180! I have to be honest and say that I have had a difficult week. My office is right off of the kitchen in my open concept house. The ying to my yang has been pretty good about keeping to his man cave for the most part, but does make frequent trips to the kitchen which is the hub of our home.
It’s not like he bothers me (much) but just having him home, wandering around, going in and out, opening and closing cupboard doors, playing with the dogs that are normally sleeping peacefully under and beside my desk while I work, is a disturbance. I’m having to learn how to stay focused and on task all over again.
Managing your time when you work at home on your own can be really difficult, especially when you have young children at home, or other taller distractions like mine. I’m reading your mind right about now, you’re thinking “Finally Celene – welcome to my world!” Right? So, I thought I’d share with you how I’m going back to the basics of good time management and organization with you in hopes that it will help us both get back on track.
- Use WordPress. WordPress is easy to learn, simple to use and your marketing efforts will see greater results. Google loves WordPress. You can schedule your blog posts in advance and have them trickle out as you want them to, so blogging will take up less of your day. Automated is good!
- Plan your work for the next day before you quit today. I find that if I don’t have a hand written to do list before I sit down at my desk, I tend to dart here and there after every shiny object that appears on my computer screen. There’s just something about writing out your plan and being able to physically cross it off the list when completed that keeps you on task and more focused.
- Set a specific amount of time for each task and write it on your to do list beside that task. I use a kitchen timer to keep me honest. If you know you have a set amount of time to accomplish something, rather than your time being open ended, you will stay more focused and get more done in less time. You won’t be tempted to open up Facebook or check your inbox or get up and wonder around the house. When that timer goes off, stop. You may need to finish it up tomorrow, but you will stay on track for today.
- Schedule your email and social media time into your day. That will keep you from going back and forth all day which is a real big time suck.
- Schedule your social media. I use Hootsuite as my social media management tool. I have all of the major social media networks as well as both my personal and fan page on Facebook walls all in one place on my Hootsuite dashboard. I go in first thing in the morning before I do anything else and take a few minutes to schedule several posts and tweets that will go out automatically throughout the day. Then I pop in and out to respond, retweet and engage.
These are just a few things I do to stay on track. My man’s new schedule has blown mine out of the water this week, but writing this has helped to to regain control and get focused on what I already know I need to do to, the things I was doing before I got hornswaggled! I believe most of us already know how to stay on track everyday, we just needed a little reminder from time t0 time.
If you have any other ideas on how to stay on track in your business, please leave a comment and let us know. I’m always looking for fresh ideas!
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Never Miss A Thing!
Subscribe to get interesting stuff and weekly updates from Celene for a healthier and happier home and family.