Elderberry Syrup has been used for centuries to prevent and treat many illnesses.
If taken daily it can help boost your immune system and if taken as a treatment several times a day it can shorten the length of a cold or flu by half, much like Big Pharma’s Tamiflu which requires a prescription.
Tamiflu has several nasty side effects including:
- eye redness or discomfort
- sleep problems (insomnia)
- cough or other respiratory problems
- The flu itself or Tamiflu may rarely cause serious mental/mood changes. This may be more likely in children. Tell your doctor of any signs of unusual behavior, including confusion, agitation, or self-injury. Source: https://www.rxlist.com/tamiflu-side-effects-drug-center.htm
I don’t know about you, but safe and all natural Elderberry syrup sounds a whole lot better for me and my family.
Elderberry juice was actually used to treat a major flu epidemic in Panama in 1995! If it worked for them, it will work for your family.
So what are the benefits of Elderberries?
- High in antioxidants
- Lowers cholesterol
- Boosts the immune system
- Improves heart health
- Stimulates the immune system to fight against coughs, colds, flu, bacterial infections and tonsillitis
Elderberries contain, tannin, amino acids, flavonoids, carotenoids, vitamin A, B and high in vitamin C. They also protects against cellular damage. Source: https://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-elderberry.html
Elderberry Syrup will help keep your family healthy all year round. We very rarely catch colds or the flu at my house. We don’t take a flu shot and haven’t for years. I think this syrup can make a huge difference in your families immunity to the bugs that get passed on from person to person. Make this and let those bugs and viruses pass you right on by!
Elderberry syrup can be made on the stove top, in the slow cooker or Instant Pot. I usually make mine in my Instant Pot. It’s so quick and easy, not to mention the cleanup is a breeze. This recipe can be easily adapted to stove top or slow cooker, so get creative. It’s so easy, it’s kind of hard to screw it up.
So let’s get you and your family started on this amazing natural health syrup, shall we?
Elderberry syrup is made from dried elderberries. I get mine from here. I find them to be very high quality and almost no stems at all. Dried Elderberries are a little pricey but I get 3-4 batches out of one bag, so when you break that down its very reasonable.
Here’s my recipe for Elderberry Syrup
Celene's Elderberry Syrup In An Instant Pot
This easy recipe for Elderberry Syrup will help keep your family healthy all year round. My family rarely catches colds or flu. We don't take a flu shot and haven't for years. I think this syrup can make a huge difference in your families immunity to the bugs that get passed on from person to person. Make this and let them pass you by too!
- 1 cup Organic Dried Elderberries
- 1 cup Local Raw Honey Local is very important as it gives an added boost of immunity power
- 1 Organic Orange with Rind Quartered or 2 drops Orange Essential Oil
- 1 Organic Lemon with Rind Quartered or 2 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 2 tsp Organic Ground Cinnamon or 1-2 Cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp Organic Fresh Grated Ginger
- 1 tsp Organic Ground Turmeric Optional - but I love the extra added health benefits of Turmeric!
- 1 Vanilla Bean Sliced open lengthwise. May substitute 1 tsp really good quality vanilla
- 4.5 cups distilled or filtered water
- 15 drops Thieves Essential Oil My preferred immunity oil blend is Thieves but you could substitute another brand.
Mix Elderberries, Water, Orange and Lemon quarters, Cinnamon Ginger, Vanilla Bean and Turmeric.
***Do not add the Honey or any essential oils until the end.
Pressure cook on manual for 15 minutes. Let natural release for 10-15 minutes.
Then turn Instant Pot to simmer and reduce to half, about 15 minutes or so. It will still be somewhat thin.
Add Honey and Essential Oils when reduction is done.
Strain and mash the rest of the liquid out of the berries to get all the goodness.
Pour into bottles or jars and keep in the refrigerator. Will keep for about 3 months. Makes about 2 1/2 pints.
Take one tablespoon daily and several times a day if you feel a cold or flu coming on. Keep taking it every few hours until your cold or flu is gone.
DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor. None of the information in this article, on this website or elsewhere is meant to diagnose, treat or cure any health concern. It is not meant to take the place of medical advice. Always seek advice from your doctor for health issues and before using herbs or herbal remedies. This article is for informational purposes only and are only my personal opinions based on study and research I have done. Please do your own research before using herbs or herbal remedies. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Never Miss A Thing!
Subscribe to get interesting stuff and weekly updates from Celene for a healthier and happier home and family.