The purpose of Social media is to build relationships. It’s called social for that reason. Twitter is one of the largest and most widely used social medias in existence today. It is used for business and personal interaction worldwide. You can instantly talk to Aunt Harriet in Australia or a customer in Bangkok about his order.
One of the most frequent comment from my clients concerning Twitter is “I don’t know what to say or do on Twitter.”
Here are the 10 secrets to making Twitter work for you:
- Twitter is a social media used for both personal and business interaction. Therefore, don’t use this media to blast your links to buy your products. Yes, you can do that, but I suggest the 80/20 rule of thumb. 80% interaction and relationship building and 20% selling.
- Build a relationship with others. Be engaging, entertaining and helpful. People buy from those they know, like and trust. Talk to people in your niche and who are interesting to you. Ask questions, show interest in what they have to say.
- Be authentic. When are yourself, others are drawn to the genuine you, not the person you are trying to portray. They can tell the difference, so just be yourself.
- Use a photo of your self, even if you are not comfortable with putting yourself out there. Others want see what you look like. While your dogs and children are cute, they are building a relationship with you.
- Retweet what others are saying often. If it’s interesting to you, it will be interesting to some of your followers and it brings you in the radar of the person you are retweeting. Make sure when others retweet something you tweeted that you give them recognition.
- Follow more people in your niche. Take a look at who the leaders in your niche are following and follow some of them.
- Tweet your blog posts and helpful tips.
- Tweet other peoples blogs and web pages of interest.
- When tweeting something you think others might want to retweet, make sure you use no more than 120 characters so it’s simple to retweet. Most won’t take the time and effort to edit.
- Have fun! You will meet some incredible friends, colleagues and JV partners along the way. Enjoy building and growing these valuable relationships.
I’d love to hear what you think and if you have anything to add feel free. Please leave a comment below.