I don’t need to tell you that there are a lot of get rich schemes and make money overnight while you sleep scams concerning online business today. There are so many claims of riches on the internet that you just don’t know who to believe or what to buy to get started online. However, there are far more honest online marketers than dishonest. Unfortunately a few bad apples…
So let’s talk about what you really do need and how to get started off on the right foot for less than $95.00…
1. You’ll need a domain name. I highly recommend GoDaddy.com. That’s where I buy all of my domains. So what is a domain exactly?
A series of alphanumeric strings separated by periods, such as www.oup-usa.org, serving as an address for a computer network, also known as a URL
Uniform (or universal) resource locator, the address of a World Wide Web page. I other words; the address of your website – what people type into the address bar to go to your site, so choose wisely.
- Make it easy to type in (unlike TheHappypreneur.com – not a good example!)
Here’s a short video to tell you a bit more: http://youtu.be/Y8HONeiIU-Y
2. The next thing you will need to start your online business is a reliable hosting service.
- When you go with one of those other blogging platforms where they host your blog on their site and tack the name of your blog on the back of their site name (i.e. blablabla.com/yourblogsname) you have no control over mishaps. You can’t retrieve your content if they crash, get hacked, or go belly up. You just have to start over from scratch. I highly recommend that you purchase a domain name from GoDaddy instead of tagging along behind someone elses domain name. By the way, they call everything behind the .com/ a slug. You don’t want to be a slug do you? Not so professional. It makes people wonder if you are in it for the long haul.
- The hosting service I use has the best customer service and they don’t treat you like an idiot when you need help. Never had a bad experience with them and I’ve asked some pretty dumb questions over the years. Buy the Baby Gator package. It gives you unlimited websites and lots of storage. Everything you’re ever gonna need. It’s under $10 a month and less than that if you do a longer commitment. Most hosting services don’t let you pay monthly.
3. You’ll need to learn WordPress. It’s really easy once you’ve been shown how. My step-by-step video tutorial course WordPress Workshop Quickie will take you by the hand and show you exactly how to quickly and easily set up and maintain your new blog site. No tech skills needed! No “geek speak”, just simple easy to follow training without a bunch of technical jargon.
- The other alternative is to have your WordPress site set up for you by professional web designers. This can run you from about $450 – $1500. Check out our Done For You Service. Of course you will still have to maintain your site or pay big bucks to a webmaster for every little change. While my staff will be very happy to set up your site for you, I’d rather see you learn WordPress so you have total control over your site and online business.
- This is the system that automatically sends out your emails and manages your lists of prospects and customers. Everything is contained within you account on their server. No slips of paper with names and email addresses all over the place. No need for huge databases of people on your hard drive. An autoresponder does all of that for you. It’s pretty sweet!
So that’s it. That’s all you need to get your online business started on the right foot. Of course there is a lot more to learn, but this is akin to buying the land, building your brick and mortar building, hanging your shingle and setting up a customer data base. That’s how it’s done and you are well on your way for less than $95.
The next step is setting up your social media profiles and building an online presence. You will need to invest as you go to learn how to market yourself and your new online business. Please invest in good coaching to help you. If you follow these first few foundational steps, you are well on your way!